City Disaster Management Website. http://www.gvmcdm.org/
Visakhapatnam is one of the project city selected under UNDP-GoI project entitled “Climate Risk Management in Urban areas through Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation” which is a part of major project on “Enhancing Institutional and Community Resilience to Disasters and Climate Change (2013-’17)”.
The UNDP-GoI project on “Enhancing Institutional and Community Resilience to Disasters and Climate Change (2013-2017)” would provide technical support to strengthen capacities of government, communities and institutions to fast-track implementation of the planning frameworks on Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation. The project with an overall budget of US$ 6.117 million will be implemented in 10 states viz Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Kerala, Maharashtra, Orissa, Sikkim, Tripura and Uttarakhand. In total, 25 districts, 10 cities and 10,000 villages would be targeted over a during the project duration.
• Enhancing institutional capacities to integrate climate risk reduction measures in development programs as well as to undertake mitigation activities based on scientific analyses.
• Enhance community capacities to manage climate risk in urban areas by enhancing the preparedness.
• Mainstreaming DRR and CCA in Development Planning
• Urban Risk Reduction
• Technical Assistance and Capacity Building
• Support for Knowledge Management
• Provide substantive high-level national and international technical expertise on DRR and CCA (Risk Assessment, Establishment of Early Warning Systems, strengthening techno-legal frameworks for DRR, Design and implementation of mitigation activities, etc.), also linked to local knowledge.
• Provide high quality expertise to help mainstream DRR as per the Twelfth Five Year Plan.
• Build capacities by working with training institutions that can in turn deploy trainers/ resource persons to the sub-district level.
• Develop capacities of select vulnerable communities to enhance their resilience to cope with disasters and climate variability, with government’s support.
• Promote systematic collection, storage and analysis of data as well as sharing of learning and experiences through knowledge management initiatives by setting up of Knowledge Management Centre at the national level. This centre will work in close collaboration with UN-Solution Exchange Network.
In view of increasing hazard risk and multiple vulnerability scenarios in the Visakhapatnam City, it is selected by GoI-UNDP as one among the ten cities for implementation of ‘Climate Risk Management Project’ on pilot basis under the framework of Urban Disaster Risk Reduction.
• Reduce disaster risk in urban areas by enhancing institutional capacities to integrate climate risk reduction measures in development programs as well as to undertake mitigation activities based on scientific analyses.
• Enhance community capacities to manage Climate risk in urban areas by enhancing the preparedness
• City Disaster Management Plan
• Hazard Risk & Vulnerability Assessment
• Capacity building of stakeholders
• Strengthening Early Warning system
• Sector plan to mainstream DRR & Climate change adaptation and Mitigation
• Knowledge Management